Monday, June 20, 2011

Struggling with story

I worried about the structure and content of my story. Not sure whether there was a climax, and what it was.
I looked up Story Plans/Sturcture in my Performance Writing texts from last year, and tried breaking up my story into parts.


Story Plan 1:
Start (action)
A couple of kids are sitting under a tree drawing in the dust.

Backfill (a quick who and why)
Boy eats some food, girl mentions that they don’t have much food.

Plot Devlopment (plot and characters slowly unfold)
Baby emu steals their food

Gradual build up (a problem to solve, good vs. evil – evenly matched)
Boy chases emu – girl tries to stop him

Huge tension (lots of action)
Mother emu chases children

Action climax (the moment of glory, the winner, problem is resolved)
The children climb up the tree to escape

Character wrap up (emotional resolution)
The children watch the sunset


Film Story:
Set up
A couple of kids are under a tree drawing in the dust. The boy complains of being hungry. The girl gives him a pouch of food. He eats it.

Inciting incident
Baby emu steals their food

Act 1 turning point
Boy chases

Midpoint
Boy is on ground big emu above

Act 2 turning point
The girl runs up and pulls the boy after her. The emu chases them.

Climax


Resolution, Denouement




Struggling with the climax and resolution still…then I read somewhere that short films usually end at the first turning point…
I also wasn’t sure how long it was going to be. I was told that 7-8 frames is supposed to be 30 seconds, so I tried to break my story into as few frames as possible just to tell the bare bones of the story. I also started thinking about what the ending and the climax could be if not what I had. I considered having the girl stand up to the emu, and she has the ability to speak to it and calm it..and then they ride the emu in front of the sunset, rather than ended up hiding in a tree. So the character has strength...and there is a direct confrontation...



No comments:

Post a Comment