Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Research and pose

After writing that back story yesterday I realised that I had to think about where the children were heading. Especially since I said that the father lived in the West and they are moving right across the screen, which would be East if the camera was facing from the South. First I had to work out which way the sun sets, as I'd never really thought about it. I knew it set the same way every day but not sure of the compass direction. I looked it up on google and learned the sun sets in the West. So for them to be walking to the right in front of the setting sun (as they do at the end of the animation) that means that they are headed North.
I don't think I'll decide exactly where they are coming from or headed, but so long as I have a general idea of where they are, it should be fine. At the moment I think it's likely that they are coming from somewhere in either South or South-East Australia, and headed towards North-West (the top of Western Australia). And the setting of this particular animation is somewhere South of Uluru.
Another thing I'm not sure of is when it is set. I don't really want there to be mobile phones and the Internet, or mass media. I tried looking up characteristics of different decades in the 1900s, but it didn't really help me decide. This will just have to be another unknown factor.

I tried to pose the boy in the position that he's supposed to be in in the second scene, but his legs didn't want to sit right, so I'll probably have to draw them in that position seperately rather than attempt to pose the broken up character. While doing this I realised that I hadn't completely finished preparing my boy character for import, so I finished that.
Then I found an easier thing for me to work on. A regular view of the girl from the shoulders up, so I wouldn't have to work out a full body pose. I had to alter a few things since it was a slightly angled shot, not a straight on front view, including the shape of the hat and the position of the face, I also had to pose the arm, which also looked off, but I managed to fix that by adding more to the shoulder.

Then I imported it into Aftereffects, I was still overwhelmed by the number of files that imported due to layers, so I went back and compressed even further. Then I decided to arrange my assets in folders by scenes, as I had read in an animation book (Producing 2d Character Animation) that's how it's done professionally, as it's a way of keeping everything needed for each scene together so nothing gets forgotten. I had to update most of the files in Aftereffects after this change, but it should make things easier.


No comments:

Post a Comment